Tuesday, March 07, 2006

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

We have all heard this saying - yes? This is the way I live my life really - I don't journal and generally don't write long letters to my friends - but I take pictures :) Because they say a lot.
But browsing a book (the Power of Now) the other day I stumbled on an idea that had me thinking - maybe some pictures are worth no words at all. Let me explain.


Love, joy and peace are states of being, not really emotions, because emotions have the power to come and go. These though are attainable in what some may call the depths of the soul, for those in touch with the spirituality of the world - rarely in this life while we are running about attending to errands and such. But glimpses of them are possible in moments when the mind is rendered speechless. Triggered by maybe great beauty, physical exertion, great danger - there is a still, a calm, where love, joy and peace can be known if just for a second.

I may not be the Buddha, but I can tell you that I am pretty speechless when it comes to how I feel about my kids. Speechless is the only way to describe the experience in a delivery room. Speechless is how I felt when I found out that my friend had died. All those moments have in common for me a love so intense that it fell beyond anything that words could describe.
I have seen pictures like that - you know they describe something that words will never be able to tell - not even a thousand of them.


What are your speechless moments?

No comments: