Monday, March 06, 2006

Another trip on memory lane

And to follow on this happy trip down memory lane, comes another trip I took recently... At the 12th anniversary of the tragic passing of my lifelong friend, I am finally making a scrapbook of sorts with images of her life. I had thought it would be a painful process because who wants to remember things such as these? But in doing the work, I found that it was joyous for me. I remembered things that were masked by pain and felt connected to her. Even though some of the memories I was re-living were not quite as happy as the one of the kids, there again was an overwhelming feeling of love. Love for her laughter, love for her many attempts at colors of hair, love for the fact that in most of the images she is snuggled up with someone that SHE loved... she knew this fact for as long as I can remember - life is about love. What we remember is not simply the images that we treasure (remember that trip to the beach) but the feelings that are attached as well - the connection of sharing the joys and sorrows in each other's lives.


No comments: