Thursday, September 06, 2007

Highlights Children's Magazine

This is a wonderful magazine especially if your child is of reading age. But this morning I was completely and happily surprised that the magazine is run in a very mom-friendly manner.

My daughter had submitted a drawing to their showcase of readers images in hopes of find her picture published (which of course she was sure would happen). After she mailed this piece of precious artwork, she began to check the mail every day to see if her magazine had arrived with her picture. Knowing that thousands of kids were doing the same thing - and knowing they only publish about 5 per issue, the odds are not good that she will find her picture in print. AND the magazine only comes out once a month, so the wait is long...

She begged me to check up on it because being just a mom, I don't know the real story and I should ask someone who does... so being just a mom, I email the magazine to inquire just how long it takes AND if we will be notified because heaven forbid we actually miss the issue...

It took a few weeks but I got a personal (and long) email from the editor! She explained the process fully (so that I could explain it to the little one) and informed me that she would get a letter of thanks just for submitting. We had not gotten this letter and she even took time out of her day to go and check on the address they had sent it to (among the thousands of kids mind you). Sure enough the address is not correct and they are sending out another letter.

I have never in my life gotten such customer service. How easy it is to "lose" or delete such ridiculous emails. Imagine that from a large, national company... sometimes it feels good just to share such a great story!

No comments: